Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Another mystery boat


I recieved this email from John Millichap who is wondering what boat he just bought. Any ideas?

"I recently acquired an 18ft sloop on ebay! Neither I or the seller knows anything about it although he supposedly owned and sailed it for 4-5 years. I believe it to be fibreglass or GRP but it may be ply sheathed in same. It has bilge keels half metal and a central finkeel astern of these. It has a well for outboard rear of the cockpit and a locker astern of that, 2 berths and wqhat appears to be a forward hatch that was not in the original design!"

I attach some photos and would be very appreciative of any information you or your readers may be able to give me. The boat is in a pretty bad way and I am particularly worried about the three keels as the bilge ones appear to have problems at the hull end and the fin keel appears to have water draining out of the hull where it joins."



Update: The boat is most probably a Caprice, designed by Robert Tucker. Not sure really which version though. Thanks to the guys at Scuttlebutt!

1 comment:

Alden Smith said...

Looks like a Caprice - what state is the plywood in?

Regards - Alden from New Zealand